8.12.13

Store Pass Survey Results Analysis Part II

After the short yet sweet analysis of basic data (gender, age, smart phone/app user etc.) I then pitched my idea to see the type of responses the public would give.


Thankfully 88% of users who took this survey expressed interest in the store pass idea. I would also like to take this opportunity to address the concerns voiced in the survey. Since it's a short survey I couldn't respond and communicate my idea fully.

Response number two wrote "Only if you could opt out of certain stores. It would be frustrating to get notifications when walking past a store / restaurant you hated" Though I didn't mention in the survey, opting in and out of stores/restaurants of interest is a huge part of the Store Pass app. I have heavily considered the accessibility of the app so options such as opting in and out plus location filters would be a key component of the app.

Response number three stated "It would feel like a security issue and discomforting that an app would know that I'm walking by a particular store." Many smart phone users have an option on their phone known as Location Services. This allows the phone to continually take in data of where the user and their phone is via the internet. Functions that use Location Services include GPS, Internet Browsers, Facebook, Twitter, Instagram and and Find My iPhone. The same user is an owner of a Samsung S/Galaxy series so it's highly likely that they use some of the apps listed above.
The average smart phone user more or less purchases a smart phone for it's multifunctions and capability of using apps as opposed to just being a cellular device.

[This is what the location services options look like on a Samsung Galaxy, the suggested model of phone. Source.]


 Usually when installing an app or using a smart phone the Privacy issues surrounding location services is within the terms and service of the respective/app or phone. This function is possible to turn off at any time at all. Though I understand the security issues that surround using an app that tracks location, I will of course ensure the safety of users as much as possible within my control. But a wary user should know that a some smart phone's functions rely heavily on such things as Location Services.

Despite the concerns of privacy the consumer who took the survey expressed interest in the Store Pass idea. Here are the rest of their results:


They also answered that they're extremely attached to their mobile device so with the security promised and right construction of the app they could still be a potential customer and aren't completely put off.

However this is all only constructive criticism and will help towards perfect the Store Pass App.


For the next question I suggested different ways of utilising Store pass. Offers don't have to be limited to discounts. They could also be used to promote new products (e.g. in Topshop, spend over £20 and receive free nail polish) in retail stores or (e.g Pizza Hut, spend over £20 and receive free new dessert!) and etc. There are a lot of possibilities for the uses of this app which I will explain in an up coming post! 90% of people that answered would be interested in the mixing up of offers to keep things fresh and exciting.

However I gave the people that answered no, the chance to expand on their answer.
A lot of the worried responses were from consumers who disliked the countdown idea. As I didn't fully introduce the idea and only gave one example this helps filter out the type of discount that people can enjoy. Shopping should always aim to be stress free as many individuals seek relief in retail therapy and when discounts appear it can only be better!
Of course the countdown idea is definitely an interesting one and if it went ahead it would have to be regulated by store security. It wouldn't be ideal for all users to be notified at the same time of this offer so pings would go off at different intervals, giving everyone a different chance.